It is winter here in Australia which means flu season has arrived. If you know someone who has been unfortunate enough to catch a cold, why not make them my “Chicken soup for the soul” recipe?
Chicken soup has historically been used as a home remedy to cure the common cold. I am not promising that this recipe will cure their ails but I am sure your gesture of kindness will at least bring a smile to someone’s face.
I use this recipe after my Sunday food prepping sessions as a way to make use of the carcass of the roast chicken. Waste not want not as my mother always says! If time is not your friend, you can skip the boiling of the bones by using chicken stock (I promise it will be our little secret!).
I made the unusual choice of adding goji berries to my soup purely because my mum used to add them to her soup and also because she used to tell me that goji berries were good for your eyes.
Serve your chicken soup in a bread bowl for extra novelty and cuteness factor!
To make my chicken soup for the soul recipe, you will need:-
- Leftover chicken bones from your Sunday roast (I usually use 2 carcasses)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Huge handful of chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 diced red onions
- 1 diced turnip
- Shredded cooked chicken removed from the roasted carcass
- 2 sticks of chopped celery
- 3 Carrots
- Sliced zucchini (I cut stripes into my zucchini with a potato peeler for an extra pretty factor)
- Option handful of goji berries
- Chicken stock cubes to taste
- Large crusty round bread loaf
- Place first 5 ingredients in above list into a large stock pot, add water and cover with lid
- Boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 4 hours
- Carefully remove bones from stock
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the bread obviously) and simmer for a further hour
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and stock cubes (if required)
- Stir extra parsley through soup
- Use a sharp knife to cut a hole or heart shape into the top of the bread and remove lid with care
- Pick out the inside of the bread but leave at least an inch of bread to protect the crust
- Pour some soup into the bread and serve immediately
Et Voila Chicken soup for the soul!
Until next time – stay happy and healthy!
Please remember to ‘LIKE’ my Facebook Page The Baking Mad Gym Addict for future recipes.