I love eating rocky road! I have a colleague at work that makes the most amazing slab of homemade rocky road in which she melts white and milk chocolate on to jelly sweets, marshmallows and peanuts – delish!
I have heard that the most popular way of eating rocky road in America is in ice cream form. However in Australia and UK, rocky road is usually a chewy, crunchy, nutty chocolate slab.
I decided to make an almond butter rocky road version filled with dried fruit and nuts. It was a fairly clean treat to make although I definitely would not eat this in excess to due to the high fat (and sugar content from the dried fruit). Still, if you have done enough sweat work and lifting at the gym, there is nothing wrong with a post workout treat every now and again!
Mr BMGA told me that this recipe is sweet and nutty (just like me). He is a bit of a smooth charmer haha!
If you had to be likened to a dessert, what dessert would you be?
To make my almond butter rocky road, you will need:-
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- ¼ cup almond butter
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 50 grams of unsweetened carob buttons
- 150 grams of marshmallows (if you are feeling adventurous and want to make your own clean guilt free marshmallows try out my recipe here)
- 100 grams of dried mango
- 50 grams of cashew nuts
- 50 grams of almonds
- A handful of dried cranberries and coconut flakes
- Put the first 5 ingredients into a big bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds to melt
- Stir the mixture until smooth and set aside
- Roughly chop the marshmallows, mango, cashew and almond nuts and mix together
- Fill a loaf tin lined with baking paper with the ingredients in step 3
- Pour into the loaf tin the mixture in step 2
- Top the loaf tin with a handful of dried cranberries and coconut flakes
- Cover and freeze the mixture for a couple of hours
- Remove rocky road from freezer and let it soften slightly before slicing and eating
Et Voila Almond Butter Rocky Road!
Until next time – stay happy and healthy!
Please remember to ‘LIKE’ my Facebook Page The Baking Mad Gym Addict for future recipes.
These were my homemade marshmallows from an earlier recipe post
Ingredients in the loaf tin before adding the almond butter mixture
A snapshot of the almond butter rocky road fresh out the freezer
Trying to stop myself from eating the whole thing required enormous willpower!
Crunchy, chewy, sweet, tart, nutty almondy buttery deliciousness…
Almond butter rocky road makes me S-M-I-L-E !
Perfect gift idea for almond butter addicts!